Super Human Breakfast
This delicious dish is my good friend and mentor Laura Hames Franklin’s creation.
My amazing acupuncturist Dan Gorvett reminded me a couple of weeks ago, that the body LOVES warm food in the morning- if we have a cold breakfast, the body has to use precious energy to warm it up so that we can digest it. Having a warm breakfast. with your '5 (fruit/veggies) a day' is incredible for your whole system- it gives you a natural energy boost and floods your blood stream with all of the goodness you need for the day ahead. What better way to start the day?
A SHB really feels as though it is the best breakfast for my body- I don't manage to have it every day, and on the days that I do I think ' I would really benefit from eating this everyday!'
It leaves me feeling satisfied for hours, it provides so many essential vitamins, minerals and nutrients, stabilises my blood sugars, and is the perfect balance of carbs, protein, and goodness!
How to make a SHB...
- 2 eggs (boiled)
- 1/2 sweet potato chopped into small cubes
- 2 mushrooms
- 4/5 cherry tomatoes
- Large handful of greens
- Your favourite herb(s) e.g. rosemary, oregano, thyme
- Olive oil and a dash of lemon juice
- Himalayan pink salt and pepper to serve
- Wash ingredients
- Dice sweet potato into cubes and steam for 10 minutes (delicious with fresh rosemary)
- Steam greens, tomatoes and mushrooms and other herbs for 4 minutes
- Boil eggs for 4 minutes
- Place all ingredients on a plate with peeled eggs
- Add a big dollop of Sauerkraut
- Finish with a drizzle of olive oil, a squeeze of a lemon, a pinch of Himalayan pink salt and pepper
To make preparation and clean up easier, I use a bamboo steamer basket for all of the veggies- then a separate pan for the eggs.
Let me know how you get on with trying this breakfast- with practice, prep and clean up gets quicker, and it's just sooooo worth it- I find myself craving this breakfast!!
Why not even make an intention to have this breakfast 2-3 times per week as a start?
I know that a bowl of cereal, some toast, fruit and yoghurt, porridge (I LOVE porridge!) or a bagel is such a quick and easy go to... but let's challenge ourselves to build even more veggies and protein into our breakfasts- I would love to hear your ideas!
Here is to feeling fit, strong and fabulous this autumn!!!
Lots of love, Rachael x